Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Cochinita Pibil Tacos plus 2 more

Cochinita Pibil Tacos plus 2 more


Cochinita Pibil Tacos

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 05:38 PM PST

Cochinita Pibil Tacos

Given my obsession with tacos, they were the first thing on my list to try out my fresh batch of cochinita pibil. I decided to keep things nice and simple and I went with some freshly homemade Mexican pickled red onions a super hot roasted habanero salsa, some queso fresco and some cilantro. Just like the cochinita pibil was marinated in sour orange juice so to were the Mexican pickled red onions which added an amazing freshness to the tacos with the help of the cilantro. Since the marinade for the cochinita pibil did not have any chili heat in it I needed a spicy salsa to bring in some heat and I figured that habanero salsa would do the job perfectly well. If you want some help taming the heat of the habanero salsa, some creamy refried beans would fit the bill and make an excellent addition to these tacos.

Read the recipe »


Cochinita Pibil (Puerco Pibil)

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 05:40 PM PST

Cochinita Pibil (Puerco Pibil)

I recently had the pleasure of attending a Mexican Gastronomy event put on by the Minister of tourism of Mexico at the Royal Ontario Museum where we got a sneak peak at the Maya: Secrets of their Ancient World exhibit. While there I enjoyed some really tasty Mexican cuisine including pollo pibil, chicken marinated in a red paste made with annatto seeds. Having the pollo pibil that night reminded me that I had been wanting to try making cochinita pibil, or puerco pibil, for a while now and it was the perfect inspiration to get to it. Cochinita pibil is a dish where pork is marinated in a mixture of annatto seeds and sour orange juice and it is then slowly baked, wrapped in banana leaves, until it is nice and tender. Traditionally cochinita pibil uses a whole pig and it is baked underground but with some quick modifications to the recipe you can easily make it at home in your oven.

Read the recipe »


Roast Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Grainy Mustard, Horseradish Mayo

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 03:39 AM PST

Roast Beef Sandwich with Caramelized Onions and Grainy Mustard, Horseradish Mayo

As amazing as the roast beef dinner is, I think that my favourite part has to be using the leftovers to make roast beef sandwiches! The basic roast beef sandwich is so easy to make and yet so good! I like to start my roast beef sandwiches off with some sweet caramelized onions, which take a bit of time to make but for what they add to the sandwich, they are so worth it! Next up I like to add a bit of bite and I am always torn between using some horseradish or some grainy mustard so I very often just decide to combine the two along with some creamy mayonnaise. Cheese is always a welcome addition to any roast beef sandwich and you can go with some sharp and tangy cheddar or some smooth and creamy swiss or provolone and since melted cheese is always better, you can throw your sandwich under the broiler for a minute or two. No roast beef sandwich would be complete without a hit of tasty gravy, also leftover from the roast beef dinner, and I often like to add something green in the form of peppery arugula. No matter how you do it, you really cannot go wrong with a roast beef sandwich!

Read the recipe »


No comments:

Post a Comment